Welcome to The Bog

Starting modestly as a class assignment, and then forgotten I have returned with the intention of embarking on a major "wetland restoration project" with the goal of bringing The Bog back to its future glory.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bathroom Photography book Based on Bathroom Graffite

My book has a similar idea behond another book one of my professors is writting called the Pure Process which shows advertisers creative process, I thought bathroom graffite is a good example of unscencored creativity and expression however crude or vile. I have always been fascinated with the graffite that one finds in the dirty underworld of the public bathroom. As a young child bathroom graffite was my first exposure to many curse words racism, sexuality, and even the power of anonymous expression. In many ways graffite is human kinds most basic form of expression and creativity, just look at the cavemen. I always sit there on the toilet staring at the areas of the stall that have been obviously scratched out or painted over, hoping for a glimpse of what was so harmful that it needed to be covered over. It truly is a forum where people can communicate with a whole range of people, just think of the number of people of all different ages nationalities and sexual preferences see a picture on the DFW bathroom stall. Although bathroom art is often lewd and racist, it provides a unique glimpse into a culture that is usually ignored and covered up much like the art.



I think pictures of of bathroom graphite from around different locations around the country could make for an interesting coffee table or bathroom book. I am going to do my best to start this task.

Although bathroom writting is also the source of a great deal of racism and sexism, so it may be tougher than I think.
....I need to diversify my bathroom stops on the road trip from houston to dallas becuase those were some clean bathrooms. Well, I will keep looking for pics for my bathroom book.

No comments:

Post a Comment