Welcome to The Bog

Starting modestly as a class assignment, and then forgotten I have returned with the intention of embarking on a major "wetland restoration project" with the goal of bringing The Bog back to its future glory.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

I found an apple today...

It was on my kitchen counter and I ate it, on my way to Moody Garage. I found a huge bad spot, probably a worm or something. As I am walking up the stairs I cannot find a trash can and after the devil and angle on my shoulders finished arguing I sided with the devil and decided I did not want to bring the half eaten apple into my newly cleaned car. So i tossed it in the corner, then right as I turn the corner onto the third floor there it is...
The TRASH CAN!

I am then faced with a dilemma that I believe many people have experienced once or twice in their life. You look around start rationalizing, the birds will eat it, SMU pays people to clean the garage they will get it, no one is around, they will never know. But then come the what ifs, what if my mom or little sister are watching, what if it starts to smell and rats eat it and spread the plague all over campus, what if the bad spot was an actually worm hole that and if I go back to pick up the apple, it will transport me into an alternate reality, where I will find a sports almanac of the future, or be able to see whether the earth really is warming, or...what if its the RIGHT thing to do.

So I turned around to pick up the apple, and quickly tried to document this life changing moment before the people coming up the stairs saw me taking pictures of an apple. I picked up the apple gently, broke it in half (double checking the worm hole theory) and tossed it into the trash. Hoped in my car and went from feeling guilty about littering, to pretty darn good about my "selfless act," and thinking about ways I could use this as a found object. A story may one day follow incorporating every single connection I could make with the apple, but for now.

Don't Mess With Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment